Sunday, November 16, 2008

Spencer's 4th Birthday

Spencer really enjoyed his birthday on Friday. I think this was the first year where he understood what a birthday was. He definitely understood that it was HIS day.

Early in the day, Spencer and I made and decorated his cake. Spencer was in charge of dumping in the ingredients, mixing the batter, frosting the cake and applying the sprinkles. I helped him a little, but the sprinkles were all his. (Actually, I did say half way through his decorating process, "Spread the sprinkles around a little." If I hadn't of, I think there would have been one large pile of sprinkles in the middle of the cake!) When he was complete, he proudly placed his four candles and I snapped a picture of him. Very cute.

After Mark came home from work, we finally opened presents. (That was a long time for a 4 year old to wait to open his presents!) He opened his cards and 2 small presents, and was so excited just for these few small items. It was so sweet. We asked if he enjoyed his birthday, and he happily said yes. We then surprised him with a new bike. He was SO excited. I wish I had been in front of him to catch the look on his face when Mark brought the bike downstairs, but I think you can get a good idea of his excitement from the picture I took. Very fun. After presents, we had cake and ice cream, and then we spent the rest of the night playing Hungry Hungry Hippos and putting together his dinosaur puzzles. It was a fun birthday. The next morning, as soon as the sun came up, he was outside riding his new bike. He loved it!












4 comments:

Danna said...

Spencer looks so grown up! My goodness! Those pictures are so fun. Happy birthday Spence!!

Jenni S said...

Kids make birthdays SO much fun! I love that you guys hid the bike and then brought it out later, that is awesome!

Tami said...

Happy Birthday Spencer! It looks like it was a fun party and yummy cake!

J and T plus Three said...

He is so big! I can't believe he's 4!!! Edwards AFB seems a lifetime ago....
Happy late Birthday Spence!